Green Building Index
The Green Building Index (GBI) is Malaysia’s industry recognised green rating tool for buildings to promote sustainability in the built environment and raise awareness among Developers, Architects, Engineers, Planners, Designers, Contractors and the Public about environmental issues and our responsibility to the future generations.
The GBI rating tool provides an opportunity for developers and building owners to design and construct green, sustainable buildings that can provide energy savings, water savings, a healthier indoor environment, better connectivity to public transport and the adoption of recycling and greenery for their projects and reduce our impact on the environment.
GBI is developed specifically for the Malaysian-tropical climate, environmental and developmental context, cultural and social needs and is created to:
- Define green buildings by establishing a common language and standard of measurement;
- Promote integrated, whole-building designs that provides a better environment for all;
- Recognise and reward environmental leadership;
- Transform the built environment to reduce its negative environmental impact; and
- Ensure new buildings remain relevant in the future and existing buildings are refurbished and upgraded to improve the overall quality of our building stock.